Monday, November 22, 2010

Increased Safety Measures


Ryan Stenzel
Article Response
Increased Body Scans and Pat-Downs in Airports
                I read an article about airports stepping up on full body scans and pat-downs because of all of the travelers during the Thanksgiving season.  There have been a lot of complaints about this new policy because people feel it is a huge invasion of their privacy.  According to “the Department of Homeland Security, of the estimated 28 million people who flew during the first two weeks of the new security measures, TSA received fewer than 700 complaints. Of all the passengers who were asked to submit to a full body scan, only 1% had chosen to opt out and instead undergo a pat-down” (Memoli and Bennett Tribune Washington Bureau, Para. 9).  Some people were getting so upset with the body scans and pat-downs that they were posting videos of it happening to other travelers on YouTube.  There have been a few notable terrorist attempts like the “Christmas Day Bomber” who boarded a flight to Detroit carrying a powdered explosive.  He did not succeed in his plot because he lit himself on fire before he could set off the bomb.  Also just recently, some terrorists in Yemen tried to send the same type of explosive on some cargo planes.  They got it on the plane, but the explosives did not actually explode.  Attempts like these are the reason that the United States has to crack down on airport security.
                I think that we need to have some level of airport security that keeps everyone safe, but lets people keep as much of their privacy as possible.  If we did not have such extreme safety measures, people would complain that airports are not safe enough.  I think everyone just needs something to complain about.  If anyone has to wait for anything in their lives, they get upset about it.  They can pick out any reason that even makes them uncomfortable about something and throw a fit about it.

3 comments:

  1. Ryan, there has been alot of negative talk about the patdowns. I haven't been on a plane in 2 years, so I haven't had the new rules affect me yet. I can see where people are felling like they are getting groped, but if we need this to ensure flight safety, then we will have to put up with it untill they can find a bettter way to stop the terrorist ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,
    I agree that the full on body pat downs is a little over the top. I understand that after everything that has happened since 9/11 we need to take extreme precautions but, its invasion of peoples privacy and body. In my opnion people should only have to be full on patted down every where if they are suspected of having something that could cause danger. I would not like this happening to me in front of other people at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see where people feel their privacy has been invaded, but like you said, because of incidents that have happened in the past, this is just necessary to make sure it doesnt happen again. I think I would actually feel much safer riding a plane after I knew everyone that was riding was patted down.

    ReplyDelete